I am learning that most of my friends and family are . . . curious. . . . about WHY I am doing an IRONMAN (2012). . . . . again (2014). . . . . I'm sure some days I will have the same questions, so here is an honest look into who I am - what is motivating me, what my goals are, and how I get from HERE to IRONMAN in 52 weeks . . . enjoy the ride!

Saturday, October 6, 2012

4 weeks till IRONMAN - Just for today!

Only 4 weeks till the big day!

Only 3 weeks till the train leaves!

Only 2 weeks of hard training left!

Only 1 week to worry about just today.

That is right - I just need to worry about this week - or really just TODAY.

With only 4 weeks left till I am swimming in the ocean at the start line of Ironman Florida, I am having a tendency to get a little overwhelmed (ok, a LOT overwhelmed), and so, it reminds me of this poem:


Just for today: I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle all my problems at once. I can do something for twelve hours that would appall me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

Just for today: I will be happy
This assumes to be true what Abraham Lincoln said, "Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be."

Just for today: I will adjust myself to what is, and not try to adjust everything to my own desires. I will take my "luck" as it comes, and fit myself into it.

Just for today: I will try to strengthen my mind. 
I will study. I will not be a mental loafer. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration.

Just for today: I will exercise my soul in three ways: 
I will do somebody a good turn and not get found out; if anybody knows of it, it
will not count. I will do at least two things I don't want to do-- just for exercise. I will not show anyone that my feelings are hurt: they may be hurt but today I will not show it.


Just for today: I will be agreeable
I will look as well as I can, dress becomingly, keep my voice low,be courteous,criticize not one bit. I won't find fault with anything, nor try to improve or regulate anybody else but myself.

Just for today: I will have a program.
I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it. I will save myself from two pests: Hurry and Indecision.


Just for today: I will have a quiet half hour all by myself, and relax. 
During this half hour, sometime I will try to get a better perspective of my life.

Just for today: I will be un-afraid.
Especially I will not be afraid to enjoy what is beautiful,and to believe that as I give to the world, so the world will give back to me. 



I hope that I will continue to remember the lessons that this poem teaches me.  I just need to stay in the moment of TODAY.

I will get to the start line of Ironman in just 28 days - just focussing on TODAY.

It has been a challenge this week as the weather turned cold and SNOWY!  We had quite a blizzard in Cardston on Tuesday night, and even today, Saturday - there is still snow around!  Sheesh!

I tried to go and do my 6.5 hour bike ride on Friday - I got to Magrath, I rode through snow, rain, wind - and it was only +5 degrees celcius.  That is too cold to ride a bike - So Duane came and picked me up, I got a hot chocolate at the store in Magrath and I went home and rode a couple more hours on my trainer - not near 6.5 hours - but it is going to have to do.  (How is that for 'telling myself' that every workout doesn't have to be perfect!)  I am kind of proud of myself - and I am moving on.  I will have to try to find a bit of a warmer day in the next 2 weeks to get my 7 hour bike ride in. . . . it will work out.  That is my new easygoing, flexible attitude. - we will see how long it lasts ( ha ha)

Saturday I stuck with my plan and did my 10 mile run - all is well.  Only 1 person came and ran with me at 'run like a mother'.  We also got our run done before it started raining - which is always nice.  I am really glad that she came - it helps me so much to run a portion of my long run with someone.  I don't think they know how much it helps me, in fact, I had no idea how much it helps me until my last few runs.  I think because I do so much training on my own, of which I don't mind, but it is a nice change of pace and scenery to feel like I am not alone in this.  So thank you 'run like a mother' girls.

It is Thanksgiving weekend, and I am SO thankful for SO many things!

my health
my ability to exercise
my opportunity to train for ironman
my family and how they support me
my home
our community
the opportunity that we all have to change
the beauty of nature and the world around me
seasons
'run like a mother' group
my faith

I could keep going on this list, but I really should get focused on TODAY!





No comments:

Post a Comment