I am learning that most of my friends and family are . . . curious. . . . about WHY I am doing an IRONMAN (2012). . . . . again (2014). . . . . I'm sure some days I will have the same questions, so here is an honest look into who I am - what is motivating me, what my goals are, and how I get from HERE to IRONMAN in 52 weeks . . . enjoy the ride!

Saturday, October 13, 2012

3 weeks till IRONMAN - I have, I can, I will

























I learned while doing my brick on Thanksgiving Monday running in the gloomy rain . . . .

I HAVE done this before
I CAN do this again
I WILL do this now!

I said it over and over until I believed it. ( it took me 20 minutes to figure it out, and I repeated it for another 10 = a great run in the rain!)

This week felt completely insane - I was double booked almost every day ( which I HATE, because I am always disappointing someone - and the thought of that long list of things to do exhausts me, as well, I make EVERYTHING bigger than it is, everytime. . . . so that list this past week was completely impossible in my mind. . . AND, when I don't get everything done on that list, I am a failure. . .

What a mess!

Needless to say, through the challenges of the week: weather, time, and having a life, I got all my workouts in!

Success.

Tuesday was a huge day - I did Tuesday's workout and Wednesday's workout all in one day, as Wednesday was the XC Zone Meet in Medicine Hat.

Wednesday on a bus for 6 hours and and a XC meet in the cold rain and snow, but we still had a GREAT day!  We now have 6 kids going to provincials on the 20th.

Thursday was my go to Lethbridge day and swim - I love Thursdays.

Friday I rode 100 miles!  I started at 9:30am and rode towards Calgary - ya, you heard me right, Calgary.  I was having a GREAT ride, and then I took the off ramp at Fort Macleod and was BLASTED by a horrendous wind!  There was actually a sign there that said "CAUTION - extreme wind gusts next 36km".

SERIOUSLY??!?!?!?!?

YUP.

My ride slowed down, and I trudged through the wind.  Despised the 'oversized semi's carrying giant truck parts, or tractors' who blew by me, and I would flutter like a leaf as they passed so close - afraid I was going to fly into the ditch every time.  When the giant trucks carrying cattle would drive by and spew stinky wetness on me - I was sooo grossed out. . . . but I continued on.  Just before Nanton, I turned around to get my final 12 miles completed with a tail wind - AHH.  That was SO much better.

I did it!  I made it!  100 miles.  I feel like I am 'in the club' now. . . funny thing . . .

a lovely autumn day for a long bike ride.....



7 hours of this kind of view. . . . .  






















I think Florida will be a little bit easier than today because

1.  it will NOT  have signs stating the painfully obvious truth  "Caution - extreme wind gusts"
2.  it will NOT  have 50 miles of headwinds, and 40 miles of cross winds
3.  it will have more easily accessible aid stations - I shouldn't have to go into a truck stop and buy water or use the bathroom...
4.  I am no longer intimidated by the 112 mile bike ride.  YAY!
5.  I found the type of shorts I need to ride in. . . . . no shammy, no seams = much more COMFORT

Duane picked me up at the 100 mile point and we headed up to Calgary for the Temple Open House.  When we got there, I threw a top and skirt on right over my biking clothes - literally.  When we got home at 1am, I still had my heart rate monitor on.  Funny.  Saturday morning was coming fast . . .

I headed out for my 10 mile run at 7am with my "run like a mother" group.  We ran 3 mile together and - kept a great pace, but when we finished, I realized I forgot to start my 'garmin'.  I headed out for my last 7 miles, and found it REALLY hard!  The wind had picked up, and I was running into a headwind (sound kind of familiar?)  I felt like I needed to walk almost every 1/2 mile!  I was really struggling.  I finally turned around and started heading back when I got a weird pain in my left ankle - I would stretch it, and run again, PAIN,  stretch and run, PAIN, stretch and walk, then run, then. . . PAIN.  I ended up walking almost the last 2 miles of my run.  That was frustrating.  I hope that a day of rest will be all I need. . . . .

I still haven't figured out what the pain was - it seems to be gone now. . . it was like I needed to 'crack' my ankle. . . I hope I don't get that again. . . . I will have to ask Erin about that one. . .

till then I am going to enjoy my Sunday 'rest day'......

and then I need to remember. . .

You were strong enough to get this far, 
You are strong enough to keep going...










No comments:

Post a Comment