I am learning that most of my friends and family are . . . curious. . . . about WHY I am doing an IRONMAN (2012). . . . . again (2014). . . . . I'm sure some days I will have the same questions, so here is an honest look into who I am - what is motivating me, what my goals are, and how I get from HERE to IRONMAN in 52 weeks . . . enjoy the ride!

Saturday, August 4, 2012

13 weeks till IRONMAN - and a little more practice

So this week I have been in Idaho while my kids are in a theater camp with their cousins.  I have been fitting in my training on new roads, paths, pools and heat.  While enjoying some recovery time by watching some of the Olympics.

I have been feeling like doing the Ironman is scarey, that it is going to continue to be scarey. . . and I am not sure how long it is going to be scarey. . . . . Here is a great Olympic commercial that I think says it all!



And so I continue to train and practice and learn. . . . it continues to be scarey . . . . until . . . . it isn't.

Monday - brick - I biked the Inkom loop and went for a 30 minute run.  It is starting to get hot.

Tuesday - 1 hour swim, 2 hour bike ride - a little more eventful . . .
• alarm went off at 5:10am
• drove to Lava to swim - met a girl wearing a 'sport count' ring.  Need to get me one of those!
• came home ate breakfast, headed out on my 2 hour bike ridebiked for 2 hours (more like 2.5 - 3) with bike tire blow out, fixing tire, returning home filling tire with pump, bathroom break.
• wear sunscreen on legs, I burned my thighs today
• take ib profen - my toes got sore today - darn morton's neuroma
• buy a new tube and co2
• practice changing a tire - every month
• July is done - I changed a tire
• fill water bottles with ice - water gets REALLY warm in this weather
• check aero bar positioning - maybe up a little higher?
• water bottle sits a bit low in my new aero bars - maybe I need a longer straw
• my shoulder feels SO MUCH BETTER!  I think the new aero bars are good.
• by 12:30 I finally made it back home
• Now it is 2:30pm and all I have done today is eat 2 meals, do two workouts. . . what a day - time for a nap.

Wednesday - tempo run - on Angie's treadmill - uneventful - thank heavens (after yesterday).  Oh, except the water softener fix it guy was in the house when I got out of the shower ( eeeyikes)

Thursday - swim - Angie and I went swimming before heading to Logan for the day to spend the day with Ashley.

Friday - long run (this is new, usually Friday is long bike day . . . sigh)
I just got home - I'm still shaking - it is hart to type.  It was super hot today while I ran 14 miles. . . . .I learned 5 things today.
1.  always wear a hat (yes, I obviously forgot that today - this is how I learn from my mistakes)
2.  don't eat hummus the day before a long run.
3.  always take imodium before a long run (just in case I eat something my body decides it doesn't want to deal with in a nice way... like maybe the hummus)
4.  find somewhere in my possession to stash a little bit of toilet paper (just in case I eat something like hummus, and I forget to take imodium, and the GI track takes over.
5.  I saw a guy training on roller skis.  He looked like he was working REALLY hard!

So I ran 7 miles to Bashrat's (Inkom's grocery store), used their bathroom, turned around and ran back - - - - it was VERY hot and I was kicking myself that I didn't get up when the alarm went off at 5 - but I just kept on going - and yes - I DID IT!  Even though I am on vacation, and I had GI issues, and I am tired, and I really didn't feel like running 14 miles in the seering Idaho heat.  Yup - I was proud of myself today.

So I was checking out my feet tonight, and it looks like I am going to lose a toe nail. . . oh well, I saw a shirt the other day that said "toe nails are for sissies".  Funny.  I also had a blister on another toe.  I thought that maybe my morton's neuroma was coming back today. . .  but maybe they were just making blisters and working on getting rid of toenails!

Oh feet.

Mmmm, I learned one more thing today.  Always get ready the night before. . . . because at 5am - your brain will do whatever it takes to NOT go on a 14 mile run. . . . and then it doesn't think too clearly either. . . sigh...

SATURDAY  - August 4th - Women's Olympic Triathlon in London 2012
I'm sharing these NOT to compare myself but out of complete and utter AWE!
Something else that amazed me is that the first and last person in the Olympics were only 12 minutes apart.  That makes them all winners in my mind.  Here are the winner's times:

Nicola Spirig   swim 19.24   T1 0.40    Bike 1:10.33    T2 0.30    Run 33.41    Finish 1:59.48

Today was also my backwards sprint triathlon in Pocatello Idaho.  It was Angie's first time in the triathlon and she did fantastic!  I placed FIRST in my age category and 14th out of 48 women. . . I was quite pleased with my race today.  This was a definite "A" race day!

Place  Name      Sex Age City   State Rank  Run     T1     Rank   Bike    T2    Rank   Swim   Finish
1Patricia BeazerF40CardstonAB  4      29:50:00:47   2    44:37  0:09    1    10:18   1:25:57.75

Me and my new HERO - 82 year old, Jody Olsen, from Inkom, Idaho.
She started doing triathlons in her 60's.
"See - it's never too late!" - Jody Olsen
She is also the founder of THIS (my favorite ever - especially now) triathlon!
Check out her times - AMAZING!

Jody Olson  age - 82 run - 50:54  T1 - 3:20  Bike - 49:03  T2 - 1:48  Swim - 16:50  Finish - 2:02:11.57

I hope I am still doing this at 82.  

She told me, "you just get slower every year, but it's ok 'cause you end up being the only one in your age category!"

The girl in the picture in the background with the orange shoes said "How old is she?  Oh my, I better go for a run today - now I feel really lazy!"


No comments:

Post a Comment