I am learning that most of my friends and family are . . . curious. . . . about WHY I am doing an IRONMAN (2012). . . . . again (2014). . . . . I'm sure some days I will have the same questions, so here is an honest look into who I am - what is motivating me, what my goals are, and how I get from HERE to IRONMAN in 52 weeks . . . enjoy the ride!

Saturday, August 18, 2012

11 weeks till IRONMAN - 1/2 IRONMAN in Fort Macleod 1/2 IRON


"Happiness is essentially 
a state of going somewhere wholeheartedly, 
one-directionally, without regret or reservation." 
- W.H. Sheldon

"Now and then it's good to pause 
in our pursuit of happiness 
and just be happy." 
- Guillaume Appollinaire

This week was a week of tapering to get ready for the race.  

We left Idaho on Saturday and headed to Montana.  We stayed in Helena on Saturday night and drove the rest of the way home on Sunday.  Sunday night we unpacked the van - but then my house looked like a tornado hit hard!  

Monday morning it was back to the grind. . . . right in the middle of the vacation blues. . . . back to reality.  Thank goodness it was a tapering week - cause that is about all I had in me - and I was really tired, as well as my stomach was giving me grief almost daily!  I couldn't seem to figure out what the culprit was, I am just chalking it up to nerves I think.....

On Sunday while we were driving home, we stopped at a fast food restaurant to grab some food quick - and there was a couple standing in front of us.  I quietly whispered to Duane "they look tough".  (they had muscular legs, and weathered, defined arms and shoulders)  Duane said "look at their shirts" ( they were wearing triathlon race shirts)  So Duane started talking to them and we learned that they just got off 7 days on a bike tour - I don't remember how many miles and hours they were in the saddle, but they were on their way home, getting themselves a little ice-cream treat.  We also learned that the lady had done 7 Ironman races, and the man was just getting ready for his second Ironman race.  WOW!  They had some advice:

1.  When you start to feel good on the bike, eat something - don't wait till you feel awful as that is a sign that you are about to 'bonk'.

2.  If something goes wrong, don't worry about it - you have ALL day.  

3.  If you feel like you are going out too slow in the run, slow down a little more. . . . 

They were very encouraging and it was like a shot in the arm to run into them - Luck?  I don't think so.

Fort Macleod 1/2 Ironman Race Report:

Saturday August 18th was the Fort Macleod 1/2 Ironman Race.

While setting up my transitions and getting body marked, I met a few people who were in my heat, and most exciting of all I met a lady named Marquise.  She hiked Nepal with my mom and sister this last spring, and I have heard a few wonderful stories about her.  I introduced myself, and we got talking about my upcoming Ironman and she asked if I had a coach or a trainer.  I told her who it was, and she smiled and said "Oh, she is wonderful!  I know her, you are going to be JUST fine!!"  I later in the conversation said something about how I just need to trust my training, and she replied "actually you just need to trust your TRAINER".  Another feel great moment that I know was NOT 'by chance'.


before the race shot - today is my 5 year anniversary since my first Olympic triathlon - wow!

I was in the first heat for the swim with a couple of my friends Karen and Megan.  I was feeling good - not too nervous.  There was a lot of talk amongst the participants about 'what if they don't count our lengths right?"  I finally piped in "there is NOTHING we can do about that.  We just have to swim until they tell us to stop - it is our word against theirs, and they have the final say  . . . . so just hope they count right!"  We finally got started out swim about 10 minutes later than scheduled - and it was going well.  I decided to do flip turns as it helps me keep my rhythm and keeps me calm, and I think that it makes me faster (what we think we are is what we are . . . right?)  I passed the guy in my lane about 3 or 4 times and I was feeling strong, and then the lap counters put our 'final flutterboard' (indicating that we only had 1 length left) in the pool at the SAME TIME!!!  Ya - they didn't count right . . . . but remembering my own advice I had to "LET IT GO".  That was hard for me, because I feel like my ONLY advantage is in the pool, and they just TOTALLY stole that from me!  I was ripped. . . but knowing it wouldn't help me, I really tried to let it go!

On to transition - I was a little fumbly, and indecisive of whether to wear my red specialized shirt and take the phone or not ( as I was already feeling warm!)  And I didn't want to wreck the phone by getting it wet from my already wet clothing. . . Duane told me to put in on and take it - - - it seemed to take forever, but then I was finally out on the bike ride.  

I rode Rob's disc wheel.  It felt good.  I was nervous about the loud sound that the wheel makes, that it may draw too much attention to me, but with my pointy helmet on - I couldn't hardly hear a thing!  ha ha ha ha ha.   I was pretty happy with my ride.  I didn't like that everyone seemed to pass me, but I tried to let that go too.  I felt good and I felt strong and I had to remind myself that I was doing my own race - and I was right on track with my plan.... and there was NO wind today!  What a gift!


Feeling good on the bike
 a tough but GREAT ride from Fort Macleod to Glenwood and back
I loved the hills!
Back into transition - now I couldn't get my red specialized shirt off!  Ha ha!  I was a bit disoriented - which is normal, but I still feel like it really slowed me down.  Marquise was SO NICE and said to me"are you back already?"  What a sweetheart.  Made my day.

Out I went on the dreaded run. . . . I told someone - here we go this part of the triathlon is for the masachist in me. . . . seriously - NOW run a 1/2 marathon in the heat of the day???
So I had my own nutrition ( thank heavens - as the aid stations only had warm water. . . . ) but it was HOT - really HOT!  I finally got my garmin working, and off we went.  When I got to the Olympic turnaround, I was wishing that I had my own water ( although it would have been warm too now that I think about it)  but it was a LONG OLD HAUL out to the 1/2 Iron turnaround, and only 1 aid station out there - with only warm water.  Thank heavens for Rob Barfuss who drove up and gave me bottles and bottles of cold water - he had me pour it on my thighs and it woke up my leg muscles and re-energized them - it was amazing.  After the turnaround, a truck came by with ice and water and I put ice in my shirt, hat - everywhere!!  My run took me about 8 more minutes than I had planned - but I know why - and it is ok.  I felt like I held it together mentally really well.  I finished strong with a final time of 7:02.  My goal for the race was 7 hours . . . . not too shabby eh??




Final Time 7:02

Clara did a triathlon today too - she did great!  Here are a few other pictures of the day.



Clara in transition!  She did the SuperSprint today!  What a trooper!
"Run Like a Mother" showing at the triathlon today!
Karen first time Sprint
Barb first time Super Sprint
Me last race till Ironman
Karen Alston and I at the end of the 1/2 Ironman - pooped!
Dad finally celebrating his 42nd birthday ( just 3 days late)
We surprised him with his present this year - that is REALLY tough to do!
New Toaster - yahoo!
We went to the Cobblestone for the roast beef buffet -
 it was a perfect after race recovery meal!
 Meat, corn on the cob and potatoes - mmmmm!






No comments:

Post a Comment