I am learning that most of my friends and family are . . . curious. . . . about WHY I am doing an IRONMAN (2012). . . . . again (2014). . . . . I'm sure some days I will have the same questions, so here is an honest look into who I am - what is motivating me, what my goals are, and how I get from HERE to IRONMAN in 52 weeks . . . enjoy the ride!

Saturday, August 11, 2012

12 weeks till IRONMAN - training on vacation in Utah


‎"Always bear in mind 
that your own resolution to succeed 
is more important than any other. " 
- Abraham Lincoln


LOVE THE MILE YOU ARE IN!

Similar to the bigger picture of not worrying about yesterday 
or fretting about tomorrow, 
EMBRACE the mile that you are running 
whether it is on a training run or in a race, 
you WON'T get it back and you have control of it now.
Too much emphasis on the next mile will create a mountain of insecurity.

Training while on vacation is hard work.  It doesn't really feel like vacation when you have to set your alarm at 5am.  Something in my system says that I shouldn't have to do this on vacation. . . . 



It requires giving up what may be a great memorable moment with your family - and getting in the saddle, lacing up the runners, or swim gear and doing your hour or 5 hours of exercise. . . . sigh



is it going to be worth it?  Yes.


Is the family having memorable moments without you?  Maybe, but it's ok.  They are having moments with their dad - and that is GREAT!  They won't remember that I wasn't there, just that they had a great vacation, that mom and dad were both there, and that mom was committed to her training too.  These are good things.




Kate drew this picture on the pad of paper from the Staybridge Suites (the hotel we were staying at in Utah).  She drew it while I was on my 2 hour bike ride in Tooele.  When I got back in the van she gave it to me and said.  "Mom this is me, crying, cause you aren't with me."  Well, I've got to give her something to talk to her therapist about someday - right??

Monday 
I did my brick workout in Idaho on roads I was familiar with while Duane drove Emma and her cousins to EFY in Rexburg.  Then we headed to Utah.  Staybridge Suites with a waterside - here we come!

Tuesday 
I got up at 5am and went to the hotel pool and swam in the dark for an hour.  The pool was not 25 meters, or even 25 yards.  We figured it was maybe 15 yards - it was short.  But since I don't have to swim a certain distance, just a certain amount of time - I figured it would work.   It was 12 strokes from one end to the other, and there was just a small opening between two pools to get to the other end.  It was a bit nerve racking.  You know those CSI shows where they find the dead body floating in the pool - you know the lighting in the pools when they find the body??  Well, that is exactly what it looked like. . .it freaked me out a bit.  I guess I have watched too many episodes of Castle - sigh.  I survived my swim.  I had to stop a few times and check out the shadows - - but I swam for an hour.

It was off for my 2 hour bike ride in HOT HOT HOT Utah.  It was supposed to be 40 degrees today - so we got moving!  I was on the road out towards Toole by 8ish, and I got my 2 hours in.  My gamin stopped calculating speed and distance for a time - that was weird.

Wednesday
Still in Utah - It was time for my Tempo Run.  Since I have a bit of a hard time pushing myself outside, I did my tempo run on the treadmill.  I put on my music and 2 hours later - done. . . but my ipod watch was being weird. . . . uh oh - - - I sweat SO MUCH - that I killed my ipod - WOW!

Thurdsay
I love Thursday - I only had to do a 1 hour swim.  So I got up early again and went into the "killer movie scene - where the dead girl is found in the pool" and swam for an hour - I did not die today!  Phew!!  We went into Salt Lake today and stopped at the apple store and got my ipod replaced for $65.  I still can't believe that I sweat that much!  We made our way back to Idaho after visiting Ashley in Logan tonight.  It was midnight before I got to bed tonight as we were trying to figure out a route for me to ride my 4.5 hour ride tomorrow.

Friday 
Long Bike Ride.  So I rode out to Arimo, almost to Downey, then back and down the Portneuf road.  I only got lost a couple of times and had to call Duane.  His cell phone only rang a couple of times and freaked me out because he has a Yoda voice ringer, which is really weird coming from your back on a bike. . . . you can imagine.  I got off the bike and ran for 10 minutes. . . . Some of my thoughts in the first 5 minutes.
This is too hard
Oh my legs won't move
Just keep moving
Do you really think you can bike twice that and THEN run a marathon?
Holy Cow it is hot out here.

By minute 8, my thoughts had changed significantly as had my pace. My thoughts have become more like this:
Ok - this is feeling better
You can do this
the first 10 minutes ALWAYS feel like that.
trust your training
today was supposed to be hard - that is why you are training.
almost done for today
You did it!!

Saturday
10 mile run.  We decided last minute to participate in the "O.K. Ward Park Family Fun Run".  They had a few distances to choose from 10k walk, 10K run, 5k, 2.5k.  So I decided to do the 10K run, and Clara did the 5k run.  Clara got first place in her age category ( yay Clara).  I don't know how I did, as I ran through the finish line and just kept on running another 4 miles.  It was getting hot - but I finished my 10 mile run today.  I was hot and my legs were dragging for most of the run.  My mantra today was "one foot in front of the other".

We came back to Angie's today and packed up.  Emma got home from EFY.  We packed up 7 people's stuff from a 2 week holiday (oiyabajoiya!!)  Thank goodness we have Duane "the master packer".  

I am ready to train in the 'not quite so hot Canadian weather'.  Enjoy a few mountain breezes.  Sleep in my own bed.  Have all my own food in my own cupboards, fridge and freezer.  Living out of a cooler is hard work.  Live in my own space.  

It will be nice to be home.  






No comments:

Post a Comment