I am learning that most of my friends and family are . . . curious. . . . about WHY I am doing an IRONMAN (2012). . . . . again (2014). . . . . I'm sure some days I will have the same questions, so here is an honest look into who I am - what is motivating me, what my goals are, and how I get from HERE to IRONMAN in 52 weeks . . . enjoy the ride!

Saturday, January 7, 2012

43 weeks till IRONMAN - a little triathlon shopping trip

What a week in San Antonio Texas and then in Tuscon Arizona

While in Texas, I was able to run every day, the weather was perfect - We then jumped on the train on Tuesday morning EARLY, and rode all day on the train arriving in Tuscon about 10:30pm - and it was lovely out - just lovely.

Wednesday morning I went for a run - and the weather was perfect again.

Then we went to do a little shopping (ha ha).  We first went to trisports.com warehouse - and that was cool.  We were going to try on wetsuits, but their pool was down ( they have a pool in the store, so you can really see how the wetsuit fits and feels in the water - supercool).  But, pool was down, and they didn't know when it would be back up, so I picked up a couple of biking videos for my long cold hard Canadian winter riding season ( can you tell I am NOT very excited about that?)  It is perfect weather in Tuscon for riding right NOW!  Sigh.

We then stopped at a bike shop called "Sabino Cycles" and Jason helped me understand my feet like no one else ever has - I was amazed!  I came out of there with my bike shoes from my dreams. . .
I'm a little embarrassed to even say it out loud - but I am now sporting a pair of Specialized S-works road shoes.  I feel LUCKY.  Oh, I got a new helmet too - completely spoiled now!   Jason then referred me to "Fleet Feet" to look at runners.

I have been having this internal debate about runners for my Ironman. . . don't get me wrong -  I LOOOOVE my Vibrams - but I am just not convinced that MY body can handle those kind of distances in Bakilas. . . . I am so TORN - but because Jason rocked my world - I took his advice and checked out Fleet Feet, and I was almost as impressed there ( you don't understand how GREAT he was!)  I came out of fleet feet sporting a pair of Newtons - interesting - - - - I am still a bit nervous about the whole runners thing  - - - but I do feel good about my decision - I think. . . .

I loved their video -



Some great quotes from the video:

It's about helping people accomplish their goals

It's about promoting health and fitness and making you a better person!

It stopped being exercise, it stopped being work it started being fun, a lifestyle for me!


Summary of 43 weeks till Ironman . . . .

swimming - failed in the wetsuit department, but I am not too concerned about that yet - cause it is snowing at my house today!

biking - new shoes, helmet and videos - lucky me!

running - new runners that supposedly should help with my morton's neuroma ( the thing with my toes falling asleep and seering pain after about an hour of running - just a little problem - ha ha)

Oh, and mental work - I read the book "You are an IRONMAN - How six weekend warriors chased their dream of finishing the worlds' toughest triathlon" by Jacques Steinberg - very inspirational, scarey and tear-jerking at different times.  Loved it - helped me believe that I can do this. . . which is very important!

All in all, a fun week on my journey to IRONMAN!  I know, the hard work is coming. . .  quickly . . .




1 comment: