I am learning that most of my friends and family are . . . curious. . . . about WHY I am doing an IRONMAN (2012). . . . . again (2014). . . . . I'm sure some days I will have the same questions, so here is an honest look into who I am - what is motivating me, what my goals are, and how I get from HERE to IRONMAN in 52 weeks . . . enjoy the ride!

Saturday, December 31, 2011

44 weeks till IRONMAN - First ocean swim

With only 44 weeks left till Ironman, it is the last day of 2011.  I have to say, 2012 has a whole new meaning to me now as well as a whole new pressure. . . . it actually gives 'new years resolution' a whole new angle. . . . . I'm finding it hard to breathe very deeply right now.  . . .

So my training this week has been ALOT of fun - and a few 'first time' experiences.


First time running on the beach. Emma and I met @7am for "run like a mother".  But we ran along the boardwalk, and then along the beach in the fog. . . until we started to find some really cool treasures along the shore . . . some things we found - 5 whole sand dollars, a starfish, a crane the size of Clara, a tiny little crab, a man fishing along the shore with his poles stuck in the sand, an awesome sandcastle . . . and at the end of our run, we were dripping wet from the fog - there were little droplets on the hairs on our faces - it was wild!  I was sad that our camera stopped working - oh well, it was still the perfect way to end 2011!  

Interesting Tidbit - we are staying on Padre Island in Texas.  The beach here is on the Gulf of Mexico. . . . . Ironman Florida swim takes place in. . .  the Gulf of Mexico - different state, same ocean - cool hey?

So, a little about my first ocean swim yesterday.  The Gulf of Mexico is REALLY salty.  I got into the wetsuit, which I haven't worn since the Pumpkinman in 2010 - weird...  I was a bit nervous - which confused me because I love to swim.  I kept thinking what would I be feeling if I actually had a phobia of the water??!?!  Sheesh....  but I do have a phobia of sea life .. . . mainly sharks, or really big fish  . . . hmmm that is real. . . .So, as you may be able to see from the pictures, it was foggy - so it was hard to spot.  I kept turning around to make sure I could see Duane and/or the hotel.  So I would swim and swim, and turn around - and I didn't feel like I was getting anywhere because I could still touch the ground...so I would go again . . . .repeat. . . and then - oh la la - I can't touch the floor - once I couldn't touch the ground, or see what was under my feet - my shark phobia became a little overwhelming - I knew it was ridiculous, but it was real . . . very real . .. so I started swimming back in.  Then I swam to the side, but I really couldn't see Duane very well, and I was nervous about getting lost - crazy I know - I think that stems back to when I got lost in the snow at the campground last Christmas - I hate getting lost, so I layed on my back which kept my feet from being down where the sharks live, and I let the tide pull me back toward the land - I tried to relax....then I rode side to side, and then I headed back in again. . . . Wow - that was kind of scarey. . .. . OK, I better try that again . . . .so out I went again. . . . it was a bit better, but wow - I am going to have to process those feelings for a while. .. . .once again - - - I really think the most important work I am going to have to do for this race is mental mental mental!

So those were the feelings I was having out in what felt like the middle of the ocean - all by myself - -

Oh, I have a LOT of mental work to do - Sheesh!

Getting ready for my first real swim in the ocean

the look on my face = a little nervous about . . . . . sharks


Trying to convince myself that I am invincible . . . . 


Just going for it - but turning around to make sure I can see . . . . anything!
The fog is a bit nerve racking
OK, really nerve racking - cause I don't know where I am - thank goodness there is a tide!

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I just got around to finding your blog, and I love it already! Ahhh, that ocean swim does sound scary! I've only done it once myself, and it took me a while to stop worrying about getting eaten by a shark too. Scary stuff! Good job getting out there anyway, and I'm glad you survived! :)

    ReplyDelete