I am learning that most of my friends and family are . . . curious. . . . about WHY I am doing an IRONMAN (2012). . . . . again (2014). . . . . I'm sure some days I will have the same questions, so here is an honest look into who I am - what is motivating me, what my goals are, and how I get from HERE to IRONMAN in 52 weeks . . . enjoy the ride!

Saturday, January 21, 2012

41 weeks till IRONMAN - does cold freeze time?

So those of you who may have just fumbled across this blog - I live in Canada - right next to the Alberta/Montana border. . . . and NO we do not live in Igloos or travel by dogsleds - I have actually never seen a dogsled or an igloo in real life - although I think it would be really cool (literally) to have that experience.

But this week - only two weeks after being in Arizona - - - the temperature got down to -47 degrees Celcius - which for my American friends out there  . . . . that would be . . . . -52.6 degrees Farenheit - - - BRRRRRR!  and can I say RIDONCULIOUS!

Who lives here?  And why???

I just shake my head - because I live here with a whole bunch of other people who I think are sane reasonable, smart people . . . . most of the time - - sigh. . . .

Anyways, it literally felt like time stood still this week - I think maybe it froze . . .

But, no, it kept ticking, and I am one week closer to Ironman . . . .but my training kind of froze. . . not a good combination...

I am meeting with my new friend Erin (she doesn't know she is my new friend, but I think she is going to be!) on Tuesday to come up with a plan - a training plan!  I am super excited!

What did I do this week??

SWIM - I got in 1 swim in Lethbridge (45 minute drive) - but I did buy a 6 month pass - now I just need to get my butt in there and swim a couple of times a week.  I love the swim - - it does amazing things for my outlook on life - it's my happy place!  I need to remember that when I am in the salty ocean with the tide, and the waves and the sharks. . . . .

 if you are lucky enough to go for a swim - you are lucky enough!

BIKE - - - like I said, I think that time froze - - - I didn't get on my trainer at all this week  . . not once. . I really need a schedule - - - I do WAY better on a schedule!

RUN - got some good runs in this week - mostly on the treadmill except for today - when the temperature skyrocketted to a balmy +4!  You can imagine what the roads looked like ( unless you are from Arizona - you lucky duck)  Not sure if I can explain my 8 mile run that I went on this afternoon after I took an Advil Cold ( I was in bed all day yesterday with a nasty sinus, cold, flu bug - - - got out of bed today before I went crazy - knew a run out in the Canadian Sunshine would help).

Picture this - sun is shining just a light breeze - sidewalks are mostly clear - except where some people don't shovel - - but I don't really like running on the sidewalk, but the road - oiyvey!  Slushy, slidy, wet, puddles, icey, messy - - - don't fall, don't fall don't fall!!!  Till I got to the highway - ahh - dry roads - - - but on the way back through the neighborhood at the end of my run, the sidewalks that were even just a little bit wet, were icing up - slippery!!  Once again,  don't fall, don't fall, don't fall!  with only about 1/2 mile left, I had to walk in the 2 feet of snow because that was easier than trying to manouver through the two feet of slush and ice on mainstreet sidewalks as I tried to climb the big hill by my house ( where the sidewalks were wet - remember what I said about wet sidewalks??  now it was pure ice - - - )
Success for me - I did not fall!!  Phew!  It is supposed to be a warm week hovering around zero - which will feel good, until I go for another long run and try to keep the slush out of my shoes!!

Oh, I also signed up for the Marathon Club at Runner's Soul, and Duane, Emma, Jack, Clara and myself are going to do the Moonlight Run on March 10th in Lethbridge - I don't love the Moonlight Run - there are too many people there for my liking, but I am excited to do it with almost all of my family . . . someday - we will all run/walk it together.  That will be a GREAT DAY!

NUTRITION/WEIGHT-  I have been back to Linda and back at it with the Lifestyles Program - I lost 3 pounds this week - thank heavens - I am almost back to pre-holiday weight!  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Patricia, Just found your blog, and it has inspired me! I saw Leslie Crapo at the indoor track this morning and she told me about your 1200 mile challenge. That's a great goal. I might take you up on it. btw, my son Danny, has done several iron man races and is a trainer for iron man hopefuls as well as triathelon. If you were interested you can contact him at saltybrudda@gmail.com. His clients have wonderful results. He coached Steve through his first ironman 2 years ago. Wow, what an experience that was! Good luck on your adventures!

    ReplyDelete