I am learning that most of my friends and family are . . . curious. . . . about WHY I am doing an IRONMAN (2012). . . . . again (2014). . . . . I'm sure some days I will have the same questions, so here is an honest look into who I am - what is motivating me, what my goals are, and how I get from HERE to IRONMAN in 52 weeks . . . enjoy the ride!

Saturday, April 7, 2012

30 Weeks till IRONMAN - Getting better??

It has been an interesting week. . . .

So Monday morning came and Duane asked me 'So . . . how are you feeling?'  I answered with ' It doesn't matter anymore.'  As you can imagine, that was the end of the conversation.

Ya, I was mad - seriously put out!  Enough was enough!

And so, I pulled what I like to call a 'LaVern'.  Why do I call it a 'LaVern' you ask?  Well, 'LaVern' is my mother, and she has been fighting a bad knee for a few years now, and she has tried everything, it has slowed her down, and stopped her at times. . . she is on the waiting list to get a scope to see what to do next. . . . Anyways, I am not sure when she decided, but she DID decide in the last year, that she was going to Nepal to hike -  whether it hurt or not. . . . she was going to do it. . . and so that is where she is right now - in Nepal. . . . she is still scheduled for surgery, but she has trained and she is prepared and ready for this hike of a lifetime. . . . hence . . . I decided to pull a 'LaVern'.  Check out her blog here.

I went to the gym and went for a run on the treadmill, came home, got the kids to school, and did my scheduled brick workout (30 minutes on the bike trainer and 20 minutes running).  Walked around all afternoon delivering sponsor sheets for the Kids Marathon, and then after dinner, we cracked open our brand spankin new Cardston Kids Pedometers and went for a walk as a family for an extra couple of miles, making my total miles for Monday 8.59 - Nice. . . and I didn't seem to be any worse for wear. . . .  even nicer!


I have been completely strict with my 'food intake', and I have followed my workout plan almost completely this week. . . (magically, I have lost 3 pounds too!)

I also went to the doctor and am being tested for celiac and lactose intolerance. . . .


The only day that I did NOT follow my training plan was Thursday when I went to Calgary for a dyed MRI. . . . just like old times. . . It was my 1 year check up MRI since my liver surgery.

Here I am dressed to the 'nines', in all the hospital glory I could muster!  I love the instructions. .  "change into these clothes, and you can keep on your socks and shoes"  Nothing quite feeling like all you are wearing is your socks and boots.  CLASSY!  But it did help to keep me warm!




















I cannot believe that it was only a year ago when I looked like this. . . .



I remember how I felt on this day. . . and for quite a few days after that. . . .


I am definitely 'getting better'.

















Here are a few pictures of our lunch on Thursday from the Gratitude Cafe in Calgary - my favorite place of all times to eat.  I had to fast for my MRI, and so, I COMPLETELY enjoyed my lunch @ 11:30am - My body feels SOOO GOOOD when I eat there, it is almost impossible to describe. . . .

The unique thing about this restaurant is that when they bring you your food, they place the food in front of you and say "you are  grateful", "you are intentional", "you are creating".  I know when I took Clara, she ordered "you are awesome", just so that when they brought out her food, they would tell her "you are awesome"!

"I am grateful" - raw mexican enchilada lettuce cups
with a side of delicious soup in a happy mug!

Duane's dinner :  "I am creating" - curry chili, brown rice, salad guacamole, salsa and chips

Kate's dinner:  "I am intentional" - grilled 3 cheese sandwich, ketchup and dill pickles

I did my 10 mile run today in my Vibrams. . . my toes did not go to sleep and I did not get excruciating pain in my feet and toes. . . . . the bottoms of my feet are tender and a bit sore. . . but . . . . for the first time ever . . . .  NO TOE PAIN TODAY!!!  Not sure if this is better, but it is different, and different intrigues me.  But, because the toe pain goes away in minutes. . .  . and the sore pads of my feet are still tender . . . . . . still sore. . . . . I'm not convinced which is better of the 2 evils . . . .

I found this poster a few weeks ago, and I think it fits here today. . . .


I AM changing, and I AM getting better, and I AM getting stronger, physically and mentally, and it feels good - really good.


1 comment:

  1. Great post! My heart is your heart, I hope you know that I laugh at your musings and I cry at your pain!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete