I am learning that most of my friends and family are . . . curious. . . . about WHY I am doing an IRONMAN (2012). . . . . again (2014). . . . . I'm sure some days I will have the same questions, so here is an honest look into who I am - what is motivating me, what my goals are, and how I get from HERE to IRONMAN in 52 weeks . . . enjoy the ride!

Saturday, September 8, 2012

8 weeks till IRONMAN - So tired, no regrets

"Never give up on a dream 
just because of the time it will take to accomplish it.  
The time will pass anyway."
-Earl Nightingale



It has been quite a week!

I cannot believe how tired I was on Saturday and Sunday.

But still . . . .

NO REGRETS!

This is what my training schedule looked like this week intertwined with real family life 'back to school' week.  I can't believe I got it all in - again. . . 

Monday - Labour Day Holiday - Brick - kids home all day, working on the garage siding - the day before school!

Tuesday - First Day of School, excitement galore!!  School Council Meeting, Kindergarten Orientation, kids home at noon, 2 hour bike ride ( on a new seat which was fairly uneventful), dinner, drive to Lethbridge, Costco Run, swam from 8-9, get organized and drive home, put away Costco stuff - finally get to bed by 11pm.  Sigh

Wednesday - Get kids off to school, take Kate with me to the gym to do 'tempo run'.  Gym card does not work, so off to the clinic to get a card from Linda - oh and pick up my letter for the government proving that Kate has been living with us for the last 4 years. . . . . government....  Over to the hotel to get my new key card for the gym - back to the gym - card does NOT work, so back to the hotel to check the card, they gave me another card - back to the gym - card STILL DOES NOT WORK! UGH!  I see that Greg is at the pool, and the front door is open. . . we sneak in through the pool doors - yaa!  Down to the gym, finally getting going - it is almost 10am - I have not eaten any breakfast - I am hungry - 8 miles here I come.  I got Kate watching a movie on the ipad, but she still asks lots of questions and interupts me . . . NOT on the mile.  We made it through - and boy did my smoothie hit the spot when I got home, and my oatmeal, and some cottage cheese, and . . and . . . and an hour later, some eggs . . . . mmmm.  Kate and I made rice krispie squares for the ward cornbust and then we went to husk corn, and then back to the ward cornbust ( like a group potluck bbq)  I took my own salad for 2 reasons; 1.  I despise standing in line for food.  2.  I don't eat most of that stuff.  I did get a cob of corn and I did leave the premises when the desserts came out . . . . 

Thursday - After many bussing issues and lots of confusion I got Kate to school for her very first day of kindergarten - I quickly threw together a lunch and some snacks and Karen came and picked me up for our girls trip into Lethbridge to go swimming.  It was a full day trip, we got our swim in and a few other errands completed - it was great!  Thursday night was off to a Stake Young Women's activity that took the rest of my evening.  When I finally got home - I was pooped!

Friday - I worked around the house and got chatting with Suzanne, when she offered to watch Kate so I could get out on my 5.5 hour bike ride.  It took me a while to get myself organized - but finally about 12:30 I was on my way.  I rode to Lethbridge (to the construction) and back. . . . by 5.5 hours I was not home yet and was REALLY ready for Duane to come and pick me up, so I texted him, but was then chased by a rez dog ( eeeyyaaa), still no reply from Duane (his phone died), so I had to venture the last 1/2 an hour home (which felt like 2 hours), as I was OUT of liquid, my new seat was hurtin', and I was TIRED!  I eventually made it home, and attacked the fountain before I headed out on my 10 minute run.  I had the same thoughts and feelings that I always have on that 10 minute run. . . . 

why are you doing this?
you don't have to prove anything to anyone?
this is too hard!
do you really think you are going to be able to run a marathon?
who are you kidding?

by minute 8 or 9, I started having a few more positive thoughts

you ALWAYS feel this way on the first mile
look at you - one mile down - only 25 to go
one step at a time - - you CAN do this.

Saturday morning came early - I was exhausted from my Friday ride - and I was sore!  Thank goodness it was only a 10 mile run this morning.  I did a few miles on my own and then I 'ran like a mother' with the girls - that helped a LOT!  I was so thankful for Liz who ran the last 3 miles with me!  I came home and started my recovery phase of the week:
smoothie
shower
oatmeal
nap
greek yogurt with chia seeds and honey
eggs, spinach and tomatoes
another nap

Wow - I don't know if I have ever been this tired in my life!  It feels kind of good though. . . . 

We went out for dinner to Lethbridge tonight with the family, it took too long to get our meal, but it was tasty and I was glad I didn't have to cook it or clean it up!

Sunday - day of Rest.  Thank HEAVENS!  After we got home from church today - you got it - I had lunch and then . . .  another NAP!  I was still able to go to bed at a decent hour - which goes to tell you how absolutely tired I really was.  Amazing!



No comments:

Post a Comment