I am learning that most of my friends and family are . . . curious. . . . about WHY I am doing an IRONMAN (2012). . . . . again (2014). . . . . I'm sure some days I will have the same questions, so here is an honest look into who I am - what is motivating me, what my goals are, and how I get from HERE to IRONMAN in 52 weeks . . . enjoy the ride!

Saturday, September 15, 2012

7 weeks till IRONMAN - the truth of our running

Sometimes, and for all of us this is true, we are running away . .
Sometimes we are running to search . . .
But if we realize deep down that the truth of our running
is that in our running, in our moving, we 'find' ourselves . . .
Then for us running is the gift 

that lets us know ourselves deeper. 
- Lizzy Hawker


This week was a good training week.  I had to be flexible (not a great character trait of mine - but I am learning).  I switched around a few of my workouts, and I got them all in - SUCCESS!

My long run this week was scheduled to be an 18 mile run.  I was nervously excited about it.  I had never run that far before - ever.  I never thought I could run that far, and most importantly, I never WANTED to run that far.  I have always wanted to do an Ironman. . . but I have NEVER wanted to run a marathon  . . . . I know, I know . . there is this pesky thing at the end of the Ironman called a marathon. . . how can you WANT to do an Ironman, and NOT a marathon. . . they go hand in hand. . . it's complicated - but it is how I have always felt.  

By Friday night, I was feeling pretty ready, which surprised me a bit because I was SOO exhausted last week at the same time.  I updated my status on Facebook to this . . . 

Run like a mother tomorrow - are you up for 6 miles with me???
I am hoping you will all run mile 6-12 with me @7.
Meet you at the pool.  I am thinking down the Beazer Road and back . . .
could be beautiful!  The last 6 miles I will be having a serious life
discussion with me, myself and I. . . . I am kind of nervous, 
and kind of excited . . . btw. . .
Ironman Florida is only 7 more weeks from tomorrow.

On Friday night I got a phone call from a new friend - Becka - She was scheduled to do a 20 mile run on Saturday - and wanted to share the experience.  I was nervous to run with someone new - but  I have to say it was a match made in heaven.  She paced me perfectly - and Karen said it just right . . . "I'm sure glad you two found each other!"  I'm sensing she is not up for +3 hour runs on Saturday mornings. . . yet . . . 

So the truth of the run is:
when you run 20 miles with someone - you are friends forever.
if after 20 miles you still feel alright, you can run a marathon.
one foot in front of the other, a little ibuprofen and a hunk of time = 20 miles complete
20 mile run = I am really proud of myself!

Someone told me this week that I was passionate.  The more I thought about it, the more it made sense for me - and then I remembered this quote.

"Passion is not Arrogance.  Have you ever heard that story about Babe Ruth pointing towards the fence right before he belted a home run exactly where he said he would?  No one even knows if it's true or not, it's like a myth.  But man, you sure want to believe that someone could have that much faith in themselves, in what they do, in what they're capable of, that they'd guarantee they're going to something and then go out ahead and do it." - Nike

Only 7 weeks till Ironman - here's to passion, here's to finding out what is over that horizon, and here's to going out and doing it!


1 comment:

  1. This make me so happy. We are forever friends - I don't farmers blow in front of just anyone.....! ;)

    ReplyDelete