I am learning that most of my friends and family are . . . curious. . . . about WHY I am doing an IRONMAN (2012). . . . . again (2014). . . . . I'm sure some days I will have the same questions, so here is an honest look into who I am - what is motivating me, what my goals are, and how I get from HERE to IRONMAN in 52 weeks . . . enjoy the ride!

Saturday, June 9, 2012

21 weeks till IRONMAN - Ladiesfest

I love Ladiesfest . . . .

I can hear some of you asking the question. . . . . "What is Ladiesfest?"

It's just a little run that happens every year here in Lethbridge, there are 750 women and girls who come together and run.  All of the proceeds go to breast cancer. . . .

There is power at Ladiesfest . . . . I have felt it before, and I felt it again today.

When I was running down the hill into the coulee towards the river bottom, I was almost teary when I saw all those women from so many different walks of life, all shapes and sizes, all running for one purpose.

Mothers, Daughters, Sisters, Grandmothers, Aunts, Nieces, Friends.  Women are strong, women are powerful, women teach their children, they nurture, they love.  I felt the power running down that hill, that together, we CAN change the world.  It was a beautiful sight that I will not forget.

My mom told me a powerful story about Ladiesfest.  A friend of my mothers, and an acquaintance of mine, Amie S, didn't get into Ladiesfest (which is not unheard of, as the race sold out in 2 or 3 days this year . . . .  which makes me believe that other people love Ladiesfest too!)  So she wanted to run in the race, and was lucky enough to find and purchase an entry from a girl in Calgary who could not run because she is suffering from Cancer.  Amie said to this girl,  "I will run for you.  I will run FAST for you."  That is exactly what she did.  She ran really fast - she came in second out of 750 women with a time of 35 minutes - WOW!

This is the 4th time that I have run in Ladiesfest, with women and girls that I love.  Missing in this picture is Emma.  She ran the race, but then had to get to her Water Safety Instructor Course for the rest of the weekend.

2012


I love that we are becoming the family that runs and walks together, the family that wins the box of chocolates for having the "most largest family team" - I really love that!  We made some great memories and I look forward to doing it again next year!  Note to self - wear the Ladiesfest shirt next year!!  Sheesh!

Every woman has her own story, every woman has her own struggles, every woman at Ladiesfest is growing and becoming stronger - it is beautiful!  mmm - want a chocolate?



No comments:

Post a Comment