I am learning that most of my friends and family are . . . curious. . . . about WHY I am doing an IRONMAN (2012). . . . . again (2014). . . . . I'm sure some days I will have the same questions, so here is an honest look into who I am - what is motivating me, what my goals are, and how I get from HERE to IRONMAN in 52 weeks . . . enjoy the ride!

Saturday, June 16, 2012

20 weeks till IRONMAN - We've come a long way!

In 2008, our little family ran for the first time in the Cardston Family Fun Run.  We felt COMPLETELY out of place.  If you look closely at this picture, you can see the 'deer in the headlights' look in our eyes.  We didn't know what we were supposed to wear, or where we were supposed to go, or what we were supposed to do.  This was a brand new experience . . . .

2008 - Beazer's at our FIRST Family Fun Run

2012 - Beazers at the Family Fun Run

Look at us now!  We have come a LONG WAY in the last 5 years!

Today, my training schedule was that I run 8 miles. The Family Fun Run gives you a choice of routes - either 5 miles, or 5 km (3 miles).  Perfect I thought. . . . I signed up for the 5 miler, and when I came through the finish line, they took off my timing chip, and I headed out to do the 5 K (3 mile) loop.  By the time I came through the 5k route, the streets were pretty empty.  I was kind of hoping to hit a water station, but alas I was too late.  That is ok though because I really didn't want to explain to anyone why I was running both routes.  When I got back to the race location, they were doing prizes, and awards, and I was able to get myself a couple pieces of banana and orange.  Duane had picked up my award and prize.  The kids were having a riot playing in the park and visiting with friends.

I got 1st place in my age category (Ya - it is good to be 40!)  Emma got 1st place in her age category - she also ran the 5 mile route.  Duane went on the 5k route with the rest of the kids.  Duane also got a medal and was 3rd in his age category.  It was a FUN RUN!

I remember the first time I did this run - I was not sure who's idea it was to call it a 'fun run'.  Now I know differently.  This was definitely a FUN RUN!

A good training week.  The weather forcast this week was not very good, it was supposed to rain and have thunder showers all week - I was worried about getting in my long bike rides, riding in the rain, all kinds of things I began to worry about.  I learned another lesson this week.  Don't worry about the what if's - because it ended up being a beautiful week.  I didn't have to ride in the rain - not even once.  My runs were beautiful.  Even my early morning swims were perfect -  My hip is feeling better - I can just barely feel it. . . . My feet are slowly improving - I wear runners all the time.  I do miss my vibrams. . . .I miss the freedom of them.  I did all my runs, and bike rides and swims - check - just 1 more week closer to IRONMAN!

At this point, I just need to remember to breathe - deeply.

No comments:

Post a Comment