I am learning that most of my friends and family are . . . curious. . . . about WHY I am doing an IRONMAN (2012). . . . . again (2014). . . . . I'm sure some days I will have the same questions, so here is an honest look into who I am - what is motivating me, what my goals are, and how I get from HERE to IRONMAN in 52 weeks . . . enjoy the ride!

Saturday, May 19, 2012

24 weeks till IRONMAN - The Journey

What a journey this has become.  Sometimes I feel like I am not only training for IRONMAN, but that I am training for life, because some of the things that my training teaches me, I need to know for life. . . . 


This past week has been quite a training week . . . 


On one of my bike rides, I witnessed a little part of someone else's journey.  I saw an older couple who were on bikes packed like mules, riding along down the highway towards the US border.  They had come from Calgary, were heading to St. Mary's that day, but their final destination was Yellowstone National Park, and they figured it would take them 2 weeks to get there on their bikes - WOW!  I was so excited for them!  I thought to myself - - - "someday I am going to do that!"  I want that experience to be a part of my journey someday. . . 


When I went for my "medical procedure" this week ( which turned out perfectly fine - phew!  Ya, I was worried)  I saw a quote on a calendar at the hospital.  It was this:


Determination 
"The man who can drive himself further 
once the effort gets painful 
is the man who will win." 
- Roger Bannister.


This past week, training has taught me, and I have learned a lot about what I need to make my IRONMAN journey successful.


I learned that I need my sleep every night. 


I learned that I can't stay out so late in Lethbridge on swim days, because the next day requires quite a bit of energy!


I learned that I need constant hydration.  I need to take my fuel belt even on tempo runs now.  I was almost delerious after my run on Wednesday.


I learned that I need good fuel.  Important to have a snack for after tempo runs, especially when I am riding my bike with the 4 year old attached to commute home. . . even an apple would suffice!


I learned that I may need a cell phone for long training rides.  Although prayer did work miracles this week when my rear hub came loose, and my bike seized up only 1/2 an hour into my 2 hour ride.  Shannon drove by and stopped to give me a ride home.  Which is a miracle, as Duane would not have been coming to look for me for at least another 1.5 hours!


I learned that I need more layers for long rides.  The weather can change in a heartbeat around here, and I think I may need to take a small backpack with arm warmers, leg warmers, jacket etc etc.  I felt almost hypothermic on Saturday after my long ride through, wind, rain, sun, and more rain showers!  The quote on determination helped me today.


I learned what it feels like to 'bonk'.


I learned that popcorn (even just a little bit) makes my stomach hurt for a couple of days - and therefore is not worth it.


I learned that I need to be prepared for anything.


I learned that I need to just worry about today (not tomorrow's medical procedure, or test, or ride, or run - JUST TODAY!)


I learned that I have A LOT more to learn . . . and that is why I am glad that I have 24 more weeks of training . . . 


because training just means learning. . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment